DR. STEFAN SCHÄFER
PROFESSIONAL PROFILE |
Dr.-Ing. Stefan Schäfer has been working as a patent engineer and as a German and European patent attorney candidate since 2022. He is a civil engineer with many years of experience as a research assistant at the Obernach Laboratory of the Chair of Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering of the Technical University of Munich in the fields of physical and numerical modeling of sediment transport and river morphology, fluid mechanics and hydraulic engineering. He has expertise in handling complex measurement equipment, signal and data processing, as well as large amounts of data. For several years, he led various research projects, he was a visiting scientist at NTNU Trondheim and a laboratory assistant at the Laboratory of Hydraulics, Hydrology and Glaciology (VAW) of ETH Zurich. At Bilfinger Construction GmbH, he gained design experience in general structural engineering and tunneling as a structural engineer.
AREAS OF PRACTICE |
Patent drafting, patent prosecution, prior art searches, opposition proceedings
TECHNICAL FIELDS |
Solid and fluid mechanics / Civil engineering and construction technology / Measurement technology / Signal and data processing / Process engineering / Ethohydraulics / Computer-implemented inventions
• Schäfer S. 2022. Modeling transport processes in run-of-river reservoirs. Dissertation. TUM School of Engineering and Design, Munich.
• Bähner M, Fuchs Y, Schäfer S. 2022. Canny Edge Detector: A Versatile Image Processing Method Applied in Hydraulic Engineering. In: Proceedings of the 39th IAHR World Congress, 19-24 June 2022, Granada, Spain.
• Schäfer S. 2021. Sediments in scale models - Implications on reservoir management. 1st IAHR Online Forum: Hydro-Environmental Challenges, Solutions and Trends for Water Security, 5-7 July 2021.
• Schäfer S, Fuchs Y, Rutschmann P. 2021. Ähnlichkeit von Sohlformen bei Sand und Leichtgewichtsgranulat. In: VAW Mitteilungen 262. Zürich, Switzerland: Versuchsanstalt für Wasserbau, Hydrologie und Glaziologie, ETH Zürich; p. 409–418.
• Schäfer S, Schlagenhauser M, Rutschmann P. 2019. Optical measurement method for quantifying sediment transport in physical experiments. In: E-proceedings of the 38th IAHR World Congress. Panama City, Panama: International Association for Hydro-Environment Engineering and Research (IAHR); p. 783–792.
• Schäfer S, Hartlieb A, Rutschmann P. 2018. Quantifizierung der Messungenauigkeiten des ADCP-Messverfahrens bei instationärer, ungleichförmiger Strömung. In: Wasserbau-Symposium Graz 2018 Wasserwirtschaft – Innovation aus Tradition Tagungsband Beiträge zum 19 Gemeinschafts-Symposium der Wasserbau-Institute TU München, TU Graz und ETH Zürich vom 18 – 2092018, Graz, Austria. Graz; p. 221–228.
• Geiger F, Schäfer S, Rutschmann P. 2015. Fish damage and fish protection at hydro power plants. Experimental investigation of small fish under laboratory conditions. In: E-proceedings of the 36th IAHR World Congress, 28 June - 3 July 2015, The Hague, The Netherlands. p. 6
LANGUAGES | German / English